Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren.

Benutzername: Passwort:

Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder und Loopytraining

• 34 Antworten
  • 18631 Gelesen

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder und Loopytraining
« am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:28:46 »
Hallo,
hier ist noch ein (älteres) Mail von Alexandra zum Thema.
Ich arbeite mich gerade durch und finde wieder sooo viel hilfreiches und Erstaunliches...

Falls jemand gerade nix zu tun hat  :lol:  wäre es toll wenn wir dieses Mail in Deutsch haben, ansonsten werde ich das mal irgendwann angehen...

nun aber:

Hip Shoulder Shoulder

Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder Basics
So let me begin a teasing apart of hip-shoulder-shoulder by looking at it in it's simplest form.  You've all seen the disengaging of the hips that is the key element of this exercise.  When you click your horse for walking along next to you in good heel position, and he over-swings when you stop to give him his treat, he's just taken himself through the hip-swing part of hip-shoulder-shoulder.  Instead of standing side by side, both of you facing in the same direction, he's now standing at an angle to you, with his hips swung away from the line of travel and his head oriented more towards you.

When you watch a nervous horse tied to a post pacing to the end of the line and then swinging abruptly around to pace back the other way, you're watching a crude version of hip-shoulder-shoulder.

When your horse startles forward on the end of a lead and swings back around to face you, that's the beginning of hip-shoulder-shoulder yet again. 

When you ask for too much hip in three-flip-three and your horse over-rotates, that's most definitely the beginnings of hip-shoulder-shoulder.  It wasn't what you meant to ask for, but it's what you got.  Make note of it, so you'll know how to find it when you do want it!

Good Things Evolve Out of Safety-Net Exercises
From these examples, you'll see that in a very real sense the beginning step of hip-shoulder-shoulder pops out all the time.  The point of formalizing it into a named exercise is to make sure it is there when you need it, every time you need it.  One of the principles of training states that the longer you stay with an exercise, the more good things you see that it can give you.  That's certainly true of hip-shoulder-shoulder.  It's initially one of the major safety-net exercises.  Hip-shoulder-shoulder lets the handler redirect a pushy, spooky, nervous, anxious, or high-energy horse's energy.  Through the swing of the hips, you take all the forward-charging energy and redirect it into steps back.  You never say "no" to movement.  You don't shut the horse down, or bottle up his energy into a tighter and tighter explosive force.  Instead you redirect his energy into a form which is easier for you to handle. 

That gives you basic safety.  The "more" that you get when you perfect this exercise is what I refer to as the Gene Kelly Glide, or to put it in less flowery language: hip-shoulder-shoulder is a gateway lesson into collected stops and starts.  Through this lesson the horse makes a critical switch in it's balance.  Horses will naturally change leg speed before they give at the poll.  Hip-shoulder-shoulder changes this.  Instead of coming momentarily up above the bit through a transition, the horse will be able to stay round and engaged throughout.  That's a key element in building towards the feels-like-heaven gaits that are a major result of all the work I teach.

Phew! That was a lot of words packed into two paragraphs.  The question is did they mean anything to you? If you were puzzled about hip-shoulder-shoulder before, did this sort anything out for you?  Probably not.  So let me unpack some of those words and put them into a framework that might make more sense.

Let's imagine you are leading a young horse who is generally pretty well mannered but can at times barge ahead of you - especially when there is grass in sight.  You have him in a flat stable halter and a cotton lead.  You are walking across your barnyard towards his pasture gate.  He's in a bit more of a hurry to get there than you are, so he's starting to surge ahead of you. You could let him drag you to the gate, but you've been listening to the DVDs and my voice is echoing in your head.  (Scary thought!)  You can hear me quoting a line from John Lyons - "The horse doesn't know when it doesn't count, so it always has to count." 

Let him pull on the lead now and you're just setting up the likelihood that he'll pull on the lead (and the rein) later.   So you decide to take action.  His head is a little out in front of you, and he's starting to put a bit of pressure on the rope. 

You're on his left side.  Before he can go any further, you slide up the lead with your left hand, and at the same time you stop your feet.  The effect is like the game "crack the whip" that you've seen ice skaters play.  In that game all the skaters holds hands while the whole line builds up speed.  Then one skater at the far end of the line slams on the brakes.  The skaters at the other end get spun round off their feet. 

The "Hip" of Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder
With your horse it won't be quite that dramatic.  We don't want him pulled off his feet from the force of the whip lash, but we do want him spinning his hips around in a tight arc. The more energy he has going forward, the further he'll swing when you stop your feet. 

So here's what is going to happen: When you slide up towards the snap with your left hand, you're stopping his front end.  His hind end has built up too much momentum to stop all at once, so his hips get swung around instead.  That's the hip part of hip-shoulder-shoulder.  You've just disengaged your horse's hips, and you've done it in one stride, in one take of the lead. 

The "Shoulder-Shoulder" of Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder
He was just marching out in front of you - taking you for a walk.  Now he's swung around facing you.  He's in a perfect position for you to step into his space and ask him to back up.  And what's more it will be very easy for him to step back.  All that barging-forward energy is still there.  You haven't blocked it or shut it down.  You've simply spun it around.  If you ask for a step back and then another step back, you'll be redirecting that energy, taking advantage of the momentum the turn created and putting all that energy to your directed, good use.  That first step back with the inside front leg, followed by the second step back of the outside front leg is the shoulder, shoulder part of hip-shoulder-shoulder. Click and treat.

Your bargey horse may still be eager to get to the grass.  As soon as you walk off again, he may be charging off ahead of you.  You may have to take his hips around not once, but many times before he settles in beside you.  Click and treat.  The more times you have to ask, the more data you'll be collecting on the mechanics of this exercise. 

Adding Finesse
After a bit you may discover that yes, indeed, this form of the exercise does give you basic and much needed control, but it feels more than a little awkward and abrupt.  Compared to some of the other exercises you've done, it feels quite crude and rude.  You like the result, a horse who is with you on the end of a lead, but you'd like to finesse the exercise a bit.

I'm with you.  Taking the hip as I've described may indeed be necessary at times, but from the horse's point of view it can be very rude and abrupt.  Done as a needs-must exercise it is okay, but if you were to school in this way on a regular basis, you'd find that your horse very quickly was coming up with ways to block you from asking. 

Before I look at the more polite version of hip-shoulder-shoulder let me give you another way of thinking about it, one that is illustrated in the Riding Book (pg. 129).  This example requires two people to demonstrate.  The first person stands with her feet spread apart while she raises one arm out to the side.  With her arm fully extended, elbow locked, her partner pushes on her hand.  The first person will find that she can easily keep herself from being pushed over.  She can line up her skeleton and resist the push from the other person.

But now she's been instructed to cross her near leg in front of the other.  Again she lifts up her arm and locks her elbow, but this time she is easily knocked off balance.  With her legs crossed like this, she can't hold her balance. 

This is essentially what we're doing when we take a horse's hip around.  When he steps under his body with his inside hind leg, he's giving up his power, his ability to stay balanced.  He's making himself momentarily more vulnerable to being unbalanced - something the handler needs, but something a prey animal like the horse most definitely does not want to do.
Alles kommt zu dem, der warten kann.

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
Re:Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder und Loopytraining
« Antwort #1 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:29:14 »
In traditional training the horse is put between the rock-and-a-hard-place choice of do it or else.  Put yourself in a vulnerable position or face ever-escalating pressure from the handler.  That's hardly the emotional bind I want to put my clicker-trained horse into, but I still need the same safety control.  So want do I do?  Lots of things. 

First, I don't wait until I need it to teach my horse to disengage his hips.  I work on this request in small stages.  I work in environments where we both feel safe and at ease. And I put a lot of preparation in front of my asking for the hip.  I set my horse up for success so asking for the hip is an easy thing both physically and emotionally for him to give me. To find the beginnings of hip-shoulder-shoulder, I don't just go back a few steps from the all-or-nothing swing of the hips I just described.  I go back to clicker basics.

The Clicker-Trained Roots of Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder
Targeting is one of the very early lessons you taught your horse.  If you're like most people you didn't just teach your horse to touch the target when you held it directly out in front of him.  I'm guessing you also moved the target around.  You had him reach in all directions for the target, up down, and to the right and left.  When you asked him to bend to the side to get to the target, you were letting him practice the beginning steps of the motor pattern he'll be using later when you ask for hip-shoulder-shoulder. 

The basic prep continued when you added in a halter and lead and asked him to follow the feel of the rope.  You took the slack out and waited for him to soften his nose to the side.  He might have been in a stall, at a stand still, having leading lesson 101,  but you were still practicing the steps which will lead to hip-shoulder-shoulder.  It's all this baby-step preparation that turns what can be a rude and awkward exercise into a smooth and graceful dance step.

So let's look at a bit more of the preparation.  It's the same preparation you went through to get three-flip-three.  You used the lead to ask your horse to walk forward.  Click and treat.  Repeat this simple request until your horse understands this slide-to-the-snap go-forward cue. (I'll refer you too the DVDs for the details of the rope-handling mechanics.)

You may have lots of liberty-trained ways to ask your horse to walk forward, but for the work-in hand, you need to transfer your "go forward" cues directly to the lead.  There is a huge difference between light and abandoned.  You are going to be giving your horse very fine-tuned directional signals via the lead.  Getting the "go-forward" cue attached to the lead is an important first step in this whole process.

The Three-Flip-Three Connection
Once that is clearly understood you're ready for the next step in your prep.  Ask the horse to go forward, release, but don't click.  Pick up again and ask him to stay forward, as he does, ask him to give his jaw slightly to the side.  Click and treat.

Go forward - release
Stay forward and soften your jaw - release, click and treat.

Sound familiar.  It should.  That's the first give in three-flip-three.  You're asking your horse to soften his jaw and to follow the suggestion of your hand to the side. 

When this is a consistent response, add the next step.  Ask him to go forward and then to give just as you have been doing, only this time release, but don't click.  Immediately ask him to stay forward and give a second time.  Click and treat.

So the pattern is:
Go forward - release
Stay forward and soften your jaw to the side - release
Stay forward and soften your jaw to the side - release, click and treat.

Coat Hangers and Stiff Wrists
This is so much like bending a coat hanger.  The first few times you bend it, the coat hanger will be stiff, but as you flex it back and forth, the metal will soften and bend more easily.

If you are starting out with a stiff, generally not very body-aware horse, the first few times you ask for his jaw, you'll encounter a general lack of response.  And when he does give, not much else will be involved.

Now what does that mean?  Let me give you a more direct way of understanding this.  When you coach people through this process, you let them feel the gives.  You have one person hold the snap end of the lead in her hands so she can experience what the horse feels when you take the slack out of the lead.  As the handler, you get to feel what sort of a "horse" your partner would be.  Most people start out very stiff.  What you will feel is a lack of movement in her wrists.  Your partner may move her whole arm to try to give to you, but there will be no softening, no bending at the wrists. 

This is very much like the tight-jawed horse. He may indeed bend his neck to try to release the slack, but the tightness in his jaw and poll will mean he'll end up twisting to give to you.  His nose will be angled out from under his eyes. 

It's always interesting to present a similar balance puzzle to a person and a horse and to watch them sort through it.  You will see them go through very much the same steps of discovery which is why these balance simulations are of value.  What you experience as a person holding the snap end of the lead is very much what the horse goes through when given the same puzzle to work out. 

In both instances the handler learns the valuable lesson of patience.  Set up a simple puzzle that can be solved and let your partner work it out.  The learning comes from the learner solving the puzzle herself, not being shown the answer.  The handler's job is to make sure the stair steps to the puzzle have been well enough established so her partner will be able to solve it.  Think of the current craze in Sudoko.  The puzzle books are well crafted.  They start out with easy puzzles a novice can solve.  If the puzzles are too hard at the beginning, people will get frustrated and quit.  But if they don't get progressively more challenging, people will get bored and go away. 

You want to design your training in the same way.  You set easy lessons for a novice learner (think about the foundation lessons - how chunked down into single-element behaviors they are).  Then you gradually set harder and harder puzzles.  Here at the level of three-flip-three we're asking the horse to pay attention to his jaw.  How relaxed or not is it.  Never mind what he is doing with his feet.  How soft is his jaw?  That's a huge step into minutia for a horse to take, but given the right stair steps you can guide them to this kind of micro-awareness. The rewards for both of you for going there are huge.

But first we have to get our partner to soften her wrists. The whole time you've been thinking about Sudoko puzzles, she's been standing here holding onto the snap.  It would seem like a simple answer - just bend your hands in the direction of the feel, but for many people it can take some puzzling and even some verbal guidance before they find this all too simple answer. 

And when your partner does finally move her hands by bending her wrists, not too much else will be happening.  You won't see much movement at all in the rest of her body.  But repeat this request several times, and you'll begin to see her shoulders move as they give to the feel of the lead.  And if you are very observant, you may even see a slight shift in her hips.  Keep repeating this process and the shift in balance in her hips will become very evident.  Repeat a bit more, and you'll find that it becomes very easy to get her to take a step to the side - in other words to give in her hip.

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #2 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:29:38 »
The Polite Prep
Let's take this back to horses.  The first give you asked for was a gentle, subtle movement.  You released as your horse gave, but did not click.  Instead you slid up the lead again. (I'm not going into the details of the mechanics here.  Instead, I'll refer you to the DVDs for that.)  Because your horse had just softened to you, this time as you asked, his head came more easily to the side.  C/T.

||  Direction of your horse's head before the give. He's looking straight ahead.
\\  Slight give of the head to the left after the first give.

Repeat this until it becomes consistent, then add the next step.  Ask him to go forward, then to soften to the side.  Release. Ask again. Release, and then ask for the third softening.  With each softening to the side you'll find yourself encountering him at a slightly different point of contact.  As he softens to you, his balance shifts, and more of his body becomes involved in the process.

As these three gives become consistent, you can add the next step.  You will ask for the first three gives just as you have been doing, but as you get to the third give, instead of clicking, you'll release, and then you'll slide up again.  But this time instead of focusing on the softening in the head and neck, you'll take that as a given, and you'll let your thoughts, your eyes, go back towards your horse's hip.  As you ask for the next give, you'll look at the point of his hip.

Here's the pattern:
Go forward - release
Step up deeper under your body with your inside hind leg and allow 
   your hips to swing over - release, click and treat.

Three-Flip-Three and Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder
Now here's the interesting part.  What you get as a result of this step will depend upon how much hip you ask for.  If you just glance back to get a little hip, you'll get the balance point for a lateral flexion, and you'll be perfectly set up for the second half of three-flip-three.  If you ask for more hip, and especially if you also slow down or stop your feet, your horse will over-rotate.  He'll swing his hips around to the side, and he'll end up lined up in the perfect position for backing.  You've just gone through the set-up of hip-shoulder-shoulder.

When people think of three-flip-three and hip-shoulder-shoulder they often regard them as two separate, unrelated exercises.  They will be working on three-flip-three and tell me they have never seen hip-shoulder-shoulder.  Since I have just watched their horse over-rotate several times and take steps back, I know they aren't seeing the connection between the two exercises.  Three-flip-three and hip-shoulder-shoulder share the same root.  They are essentially the same exercise.  The difference is the amount of hip you ask for.  When the give of the hip is a little thing, your horse will balance on the tipping point between going forward and going back.  That's a lateral flexion.  Ask for a bit more hip and you will over-rotate your horse off this lateral-flexion balance point, and you'll get the set-up for backing, in other words for hip-shoulder-shoulder.

So far so good.  But there's a lot more to hip-shoulder-shoulder.   It begins as safety-net exercise.  Just as in "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" where you should always know where your towel is, when you work with horses, you should always know where his hip is.  That's especially true when you ride.  How connected or not to the rein is your horse's hip?  Do you know how to find your horse's hip within one stride?  Can you reach down a lead or a rein to the exact point of contact that will give you a direct connection to his hip?  If the answer comes back you're not sure, or worse yet, you don't know, you are trusting to luck and the good will of your horse to keep things safe.  I listen to too many stories of people taking, what is the expression I learned this summer, unrequested dismounts, to know that this isn't enough of a safety net.

Single-Rein Riding
I had several riders in recent clinics who were experiencing single-rein riding for the first time.  For several it was a huge leap of faith to let go of their grip on the reins.  I watched them ride for a few minutes before I started "rearranging the furniture".  As soon as they got on, they shortened up the reins.  There was no walking off on a long rein, and I could see why.  Their horses were jumpy and reactive.  One round little pony shot off like a rocket, whirling in tight circles as she screamed for her travel companion.  Another was like watching popcorn in a pan of hot oil.  Every rustle in the surrounding bushes sent him jumping into the air.  He was a tall horse so I'm sure with each jump the ground looked a very long and frightening way away. Each time he spooked, his owner clutched him up even tighter .  I know the feeling.  I've done exactly the same in similar circumstances. 

The answer though isn't to hold on tighter.  That's what they were doing, and it wasn't helping the horses.  It was just winding them up for bigger and bigger spooks. 

The answer is to let go, completely, right down to the buckle of the rein. That's a hard thing to do when the tight hold on the reins is perceived as your safety net, but these rider's managed it.

The question they needed the immediate answer to was: do you know where your horse's hip is?  How connected to it are you? I had them reach as far down the rein as they needed to to take the hip around in one pick up of the rein.  No prep.  No niceties of three-flip-three.  Just slide down the rein as far you need to go to find the point of contact for the hip.  The mechanics of this are shown on the "Helen House Horse" DVD.  For both horses it was a long way down the rein that the rider had to reach.  That simply shows the degree of disconnect each horse had.  But almost as soon as the riders released the reins, the horses began to settle.  The pony stopped doing her imitation of a whirling Dervish and the big horse stopped popping off his feet.  When he did start to rush forward out of the spooky corner, his rider now had the skill to reach down the rein and take his hip around. That not only stopped the spook, it also gave her a great set-up for asking him to take a step back, followed by another step back, and then to drop his head. Click and treat.  Calmness and confidence were growing in both of them.

Now this might sound like very abrupt riding, but neither horse objected to this lesson. The rider was not grabbing her horse in the mouth.   She was sliding down to a point of contact.  Her hand met the horse's energy and ricocheted him around.   And then she immediately released.  It is very much like bouncing a ball off a wall.  The horse has lots of energy bouncing forward.  The energy runs into the rider's hand.  The rider isn't trying to block or contain the energy, just redirect it.  When she slides far enough down the rein to find the contact point of the hip, the energy gets redirected easily.  If the rider were to hold on, the horse would be put into a bind.  The energy would become trapped.  This is when horses get anxious and start objecting to the process.  It's also when they start spinning out in small circles.  For this process to work, you MUST let go.  You can always pick up again.  But you MUST let go!

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #3 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:29:59 »
Good, Better, Best
Safety nets are important, but they aren't all that this work is about.  As the horses settled, the riders could begin to think about the finesse of the process.  They could begin by sliding down the rein and asking for a little give of the jaw in preparation.  They knew they were heading for the hip.  That meant that each time they slid down the rein, they went just a little bit further down than they did before. 

Think of it this way.  When they slid down the rein to find the hip in one stride, they discovered that they had to reach let's say three feet from the buckle down the rein.  On a simple soft give of the jaw, they would reach two feet down from the buckle to find the contact point.  So there is a foot of difference between the hello of the jaw and the direct connection with the hip.

They could span that difference in one slide down, or they could divide it up into three steps. 
Give #1 takes them two feet down the rein from the buckle, and their horse comes alive in his jaw and gives slightly to the side.

Give#2 takes them two feet plus four inches down the rein as the horse meets them a little further to the side.

Give #3 takes them two feet plus eight inches down the rein as the horse comes even more to the side.

Give #4 asks for the hip.  The rider reaches two feet plus 12 inches down the rein to the point of contact for the hip.  The prep set up the horse's balance so it he could easily give his hip.

The mistake people often make in this process occurs in the last step.  They can feel the horse softening to the side more with every step.  They are anxious to get to the hip, so they slide down for the hip, but instead of reaching far enough down to find the right contact point, they go only part way down.  In our example, they go only two feet six inches.  That means that when they pick up the rein expecting to find the hip all they get is a neck bend and an outside shoulder that is popping so far out the horse couldn't possibly give his hips.

Hip-shoulder-shoulder is a good, better, best process.

One Stride Matters
Hip-shoulder-shoulder also involves a constantly evolving contact point.   The contact point on the whirling Dervish pony was almost all the way to the bit.  Her rider did a superb job reaching far enough down the rein to get her pony's hip to yield in one stride.  Why, by the way does the one stride matter?  Because on a horse that's about to go from zero to sixty, that's all the opportunity you've got.  Take the hip in that one stride before the horse takes off, and you can interrupt a spook, bolt, or buck.  Wait until he is in a flat-out run, and you will take his feet right out from under him.  You can't disengage the hips on a running horse - not if you value your safety and his.

So you have one stride in an emergency, and that's why I want people to practice getting the hip in that one stride.  I want them to know how to find it.  I want them to know that they can find it.  I want them to practice this so many times that it becomes intuitive.  They don't have to think about it anymore.  They just know how far down the rein they need to go to find that direct connection.  They know when the hip is there and they are connected to their horse, and they know when it's absent and they better go get it - now!

I want them to learn this and then I want them to stop reaching directly for the hip.  I want them to learn finesse.  I want them to slide down the lead in stair steps.  And I want them to discover that those stair steps shift the point of contact for the hip.  It's no longer three feet down the buckle.  In fact the first point of contact for the jaw is no longer two feet from the buckle.  Everything has moved closer to the center point, to the lift of the rider's buckle hand as she activates the reins.  So all the points of contact for the three steps need to be adjusted.  On a very fine-tuned horse instead of the good-better-best stair steps being inches apart, the difference may be only be a matter of fractions.  But those fractions can disappear in an instant if a lion in the form of the barn cat jumps unexpectedly out of the bushes.  You can't depend upon finesse to get you through all situations, but you also don't want to be stuck on the one-size-fits-all, safety-net take of the hips.  That's what makes hip-shoulder-shoulder such a dynamic, for-the-lifetime-of-your-horse exercise.

Is your head spinning yet?  Good!  Because there's more! 

Perfecting Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder
Remember the expression the longer we stay with an exercise the more good things we see that it can give us. Nowhere is that more true than of hip-shoulder-shoulder.  I've described how you encounter it first as a safety-net exercise.  In this rather crude form all you are really doing is stopping the front end so the back end spins around before it can stop as well.  You're just jack-knifing the horse via a sharp, abrupt change of direction.

Once you have this rough approximation mapped out, you'll use the set-up of the three gives of the jaw to finesse the process.  As your horse tunes in to the steps, he'll begin to anticipate the give of the hip.  He'll be set up sooner and sooner to step up and over into the give of the hip.  Instead of swinging so far around, he'll only swing part way, but his hip will still be under him, and his body will be aligned so you can ask for backing.  Keep focusing on hip-shoulder-shoulder and before long, he'll be softening his jaw, connecting his hip to your request, stepping up underneath his body, redirecting his energy and gliding back into a rein back all without anychange of direction.  You are well on your way to building collected stops, starts, and feels-like-heaven gaits.  You are also at a stage where it would be perfectly appropriate to activate the outside rein as he rocks back into a rein back. (refer to the Riding Book for details.)

The "Gene Kelly Glide"
You are also at a stage where you need to start thinking about the Gene Kelly glide.  This is one of those references that probably won't make a whole lot of sense to you until after you've experienced it.  Once you've felt a horse that glides through it's shoulders into the give of the hip, you'll know exactly why I call it this.  You'll be thinking of that same "Singing in the Rain" scene where Gene Kelly glides across the stage. 

In the first, second, third approximation in of hip-shoulder-shoulder we get to the steps back by swinging the horse around his front end.  In this fourth generation version we get to the steps back through a softening of the inside shoulder.  All those gives of the jaw that you've been doing will be working their magic.  Now the horse will be softening his jaw and connecting that to a lift of the base of his neck.  This in turn lifts the withers and allows the inside shoulder to glide down under his center of balance.  In a sense the inside shoulder scoops up the outside shoulder, lifting and sending it back just as the hip is preparing for the step up under the horse.  So it is the softening shoulders that sends the horse back, not the bending of the neck to the side and the swing of the hips. 

The result is a smooth-like-butter give of the hip.  The earlier approximations in can look a little jarring as you watch the stifle joint.  I want a smooth, seamless transition from forward to back.  The "Gene Kelly glide" version of hip-shoulder-shoulder gets you there.

The "Gene Kelly glide" is the most elusive part of this process.  The good news is I have been collecting some really great video of hip-shoulder-shoulder, all the phases of it, including some great footage of a horse discovering the "Gene Kelly Glide", so my summer into fall project is going to be assembling it into a Hip-Shoulder-Shoulder DVD.

-----------------------------------

der zweite Teil dieser Mail bezieht sich auf Loopy-Training, ich stelle es dort ein.

• Administrator
  • 12693 Beiträge
« Antwort #4 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:30:45 »
Hüfte Schulter Schulter

Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter Grundlagen
Lasst mich mit einer Frotzelei unabhängig vom Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter anfangen, indem ich es mir in seiner einfachsten Form anschaue. Ihr habt alle das Lösen der Hüfte gesehen, das das Schlüsselelement dieser Übung ist. Wenn Ihr Euer Pferd dafür clickt, dass es neben Euch in guter Fuß-Position läuft, und es übertritt, wenn Ihr anhaltet, um ihm seine Belohnung zu geben, dann hat es gerade selbst den Hüftschwung-Teil von Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter durchgeführt. Anstatt Seite an Seite zu stehen, in die gleiche Richtung schauend, steht es nun ein einem Winkel zu Euch, die Hüften von der Bewegungsrichtung weg geschwenkt und den Kopf mehr in Eure Richtung orientiert.

Wenn Ihr ein nervöses Pferd betrachtet, dass an einem Pfosten angebunden ist, ans Ende des Seils läuft und dann abrupt herumschwingt, um zurück ans andere Ende zu laufen, seht Ihr eine grobe Version des Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter.

Wenn Euer Pferd erschreckt nach vorne ans Ende eines Stricks geht und herumschwingt, so dass es Euch anschaut, dann ist das schon wieder der Anfang des Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter.

Wenn Ihr nach zuviel Hüfte im Drei-Flip-Drei fragt, und Euer Pferd sich zu weit dreht, dann ist das ganz eindeutig der Anfang von Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter. Es war nicht das, wonach Ihr gefragt habt, aber es ist das, was Ihr bekommen habt. Merkt es Euch, so dass Ihr wisst, wie Ihr es bekommen könnt, wenn Ihr es haben wollt!

Gute Dinge entwickeln sich aus Sicherheitsnetz-Übungen heraus
Aus diesen Beispielen könnt Ihr erkennen, dass der Anfang von Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter eigentlich ständig auftaucht. Der Knackpunkt daran, es in eine benannte Übungen zu formalisieren, liegt darin sicherzustellen, dass es gezeigt wird, wenn Ihr es braucht, jedesmal, wenn Ihr es braucht. Eines der Trainingsprinzipien sagt aus, dass Ihr, je länger Ihr bei einer Übung bleibt, umso mehr gute Dinge erkennt, die sie Euch geben kann. Das stimmt ganz sicher für Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter. Es ist zunächst eine der Haupt-Sicherheitsnetz-Übungen. Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter befähigt den Halter dazu, die Energie eines aufdringlichen, schreckhaften, nervösen, ängstlichen oder hoch-energetischen Pferdes umzulenken. Durch den Hüftschwung nehmt Ihr die gesamte vorwärts-gerichtete Energie und leitet sie in Rückwärts-Schritte um. Ihr sagt nie "nein" zu Bewegung. Ihr setzt das Pferd nicht still, oder bremst seine Energie zu einer immer angespannteren, explosiven Kraft aus. Stattdessen leitet Ihr seine Energie in eine Form um, die Ihr leichter kontrollieren könnt.

Das gibt Euch grundsätzliche Sicherheit. Das "mehr", das Ihr bekommt, wenn Ihr diese Übung perfektioniert, ist das, was ich ich als Gene Kelly Gleiten bezeichne, oder, um es in weniger blumiger Sprache zu sagen: Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter ist eine Eingangs-Übung für versammelte Stops und Starts. Durch diese Übung macht das Pferd einen entscheidenden Sprung in seiner Balance. Pferde werden natürlicherweise die Beingeschwindigkeit verändern, bevor sie im Genick nachgeben. Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter ändert das. Anstatt während eines Übergangs kurzfristig nach oben über den Zügel zu kommen, wird das Pferd in der Lage sein, durchgehend rund und gesetzt zu bleiben. Dies ist ein Schlüsselelement in der Entwicklung von fühlt-sich-wie-im-Himmel-an Gängen, die ein Hauptergebnis all der Arbeit, die ich lehre, sind.

Puh! Das waren eine Menge Worte in zwei Absätze gepackt. Die Frage ist, haben Sie Euch irgendwas gesagt? Wenn Ihr vorher über Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter verwirrt wart, hat dies irgendwas für Euch geklärt? Vermutlich nicht. Lasst mich also ein paar dieser Worte auspacken und sie in einen Rahmen setzen, der vielleicht mehr Sinn ergibt.

Stellt Euch vor, Ihr führt ein junges Pferd, das generell ganz gute Manieren hat, aber manchmal nach vorne stürmt - ganz besonders, wenn Gras in Sicht ist. Ihr habt es an einem Stallhalfter und einem Baumwollstrick. Ihr führt es über Euren Hof auf das Weidetor zu. Es hat es etwas eiliger, dort hin zu kommen, als Ihr, daher fängt es an, nach vorne zu drängen. Ihr könntet Euch von ihm zum Tor ziehen lassen, aber Ihr habt Euch die DVDs angeschaut und hört meine Stimme in Eurem Kopf. (Beängstigender Gedanke!). Ich könnt mich einen Satz von John Lyons zitieren hören - "Das Pferd weiss nicht, wann es nicht zählt, also muss es immer zählen."

Lasst es jetzt am Strick ziehen und Ihr erhöht die Wahrscheinlichkeit, dass es später am Strick (und dem Zügel) ziehen wird. Also entscheidet Ihr Euch, etwas zu tun. Sein Kopf ist etwas vor Euch und es beginnt, leichten Druck auf das Seil zu legen.

Ihr seid auf seiner linken Seite. Bevor es noch ein Stück weiter gehen kann, gleitet Ihr mit Eurer linken Hand den Strick nach oben und bleibt gleichzeitig stehen. Das Ergebnis ist das Spiel "Peitsche schwingen", das Ihr Schlittschuhläufer spielen gesehen habt. Bei diesem Spiel halten sich alle Schlittschuhläufer an den Händen, während die ganze Reihe Fahrt aufnimmt. Dann haut ein Schlittschuhläufer am Ende der Reihe die Bremsen rein. Die Schlittschuhläufer am anderen Ende werden im Kreis gedreht und von den Füssen geholt.

Das "Hüfte" in Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter
Mit Eurem Pferd wird es nicht ganz so dramatisch sein. Wir wollen ihm nicht die Füsse durch die Kraft des Peitschenschlages wegziehen, aber wir wollen, dass es seine Hüfte in einem engen Bogen herumschwingt. Je mehr Energie es nach vorne aufgebracht hat, desto weiter wird es schwingen, wenn Ihr stehen bleibt.

Hier ist, was passieren wird: wenn Ihr mit Eurer linken Hand in Richtung Haken gleitet, haltet Ihr sein vorderes Ende an. Sein hinteres Ende hat zuviel Schwung entwickelt, um direkt anhalten zu können, daher werden die Hüften stattdessen herumgeschwungen. Das ist der Hüft-Teil von Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter. Ihr habt gerade die Hüfte Eures Pferdes gelöst und Ihr habt das in einem Schritt, durch ein Aufnehmen des Stricks gemacht.

Das "Schulter-Schulter" in Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter
Es ist einfach nach vorne losgelaufen - Euch zu einem Spaziergang mitnehmend. Jetzt ist es herumgeschwungen und schaut Euch an. Es ist ein einer perfekten Position, so dass Ihr in seinen Bereich treten und es veranlassen könnt, rückwärts zu treten. Und hinzu kommt, das es sehr einfach für es sein wird, rückwärts zu gehen. All die nach-vorne-stürzen Energie ist noch da. Ihr habt sie nicht blockiert oder ausgeschaltet. Ihr habt sie lediglich herum geschwenkt. Wenn Ihr nach einem Schritt zurück und dann nach noch einem Schritt zurück fragt, werdet Ihr diese Energie umleiten, den Schwung ausnutzen, den die Drehung geschaffen hat, und all diese Energie in Eure gelenkte, gute Verwendung stecken. Dieser erste Schritt zurück mit dem inneren Vorderbein, gefolgt vom zweiten Schritt zurück mit dem äusseren Vorderbein ist der Schulter-Schulter-Teil von Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter. Click und Belohnung.

Euer rempelndes Pferd mag immer noch darauf erpicht sein, zum Gras zu kommen. Sobald Ihr wieder losgeht, mag es wieder vorstürzen. Es kann sein, dass Ihr seine Hüfte nicht einmal, sondern viele Male herumnehmen müsst, bevor es neben Euch bleibt. Click und Belohnung. Je öfter Ihr fragen müsst, desto mehr Daten werdet Ihr über die Mechanik dieser Übung sammeln.

Finesse hinzufügen
Nach einer Weile werdet Ihr vielleicht feststellen, dass ja, tatsächlich, diese Form der Übung Euch grundlegende und dringende benötigte Kontrolle verschafft, aber es fühlt sich nicht nur ein bißchen merkwürdig und abrupt an. Verglichen mit einigen anderen Übungen, die Ihr gemacht habt, scheint es ziemlich grob und unhöflich. Ihr mögt das Ergebnis, ein Pferd das am Ende eines Stricks bei Euch ist, aber Ihr möchtet die Übung ein wenig verfeinern.

Da bin ich ganz bei Euch. Die Hüfte so, wie ich es beschrieben habe, zu bewegen, mag tatsächlich manchmal notwendig sein, aber aus Sicht des Pferdes kann es sehr grob und plötzlich sein. Wenn sie als eine keine-andere-Wahl-Übung gemacht wird, ist sie in Ordnung, aber wenn Ihr ständig auf diese Weise ausbilden würdet, würdet Ihr feststellen, dass Euer Pferd sehr schnell Wege finden würde, die verhindern, dass Ihr es nach etwas fragt.

Bevor ich mir die höflichere Version des Hüfte-Schulter-Schulter anschaue, lasst mich Euch noch eine andere Möglichkeit, darüber nachzudenken, zeigen, die im Reitbuch (S. 129) dargestellt ist. Für dieses Beispiel braucht man zwei Personen, um es vorzumachen. Die erste Person steht mit gespreizten Beinen und streckt einen Arm zur Seite aus. Ihr Arm ist voll ausgestreckt mit durchgedrücktem Ellenbogen, ihr Partner drückt gegen ihre Hand. Die erste Person wird feststellen, dass sie leicht verhindern kann, umgeschubst zu werden. Sie kann ihr Skelett ausrichten und dem Druck der anderen Person widerstehen.

Aber jetzt wird Ihr gesagt, sie solle ihr näheres Bein vor das andere Stellen. Sie nimmt wieder den Arm hoch und streckt den Ellenbogen durch, doch diesmal wird sie mit Leichtigkeit aus der Balance geworfen. Mit auf diese Art überkreuzten Beinen kann sie ihr Gleichgewicht nicht halten.

Das ist im Grunde genommen das, was wir tun, wenn wir die Hüfte des Pferdes herum nehmen. Wenn es mit seinem inneren Hinterbein unter den Körper tritt, gibt es seine Kraft auf, seine Fähigkeit, balanciert zu bleiben. Es setzt sich selbst vorübergehend mehr der Gefahr aus, aus der Balance gebracht zu werden - etwas, das der Hlater braucht, ein Fluchttier wie ein Pferd aber ganz bestimmt nicht tun möchte.
Viele Grüße,
Esther

• Administrator
  • 12693 Beiträge
« Antwort #5 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:31:20 »
Da ich dann tatsächlich doch auch noch was anderes tun sollte, müssen die anderen Teile warten, oder jemand anderes darf sich dran versuchen!  :wink:
Viele Grüße,
Esther

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #6 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:31:39 »
wow, du warst ja schon fleissig! *vielekekse*  :D  :D danke!

• Administrator
  • 12693 Beiträge
« Antwort #7 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:32:12 »
Hallo,

ich habe jetzt auch im Buch über das HSS gelesen, und dabei kam (wen überrascht's ? ;-) ) eine Frage auf:

Soweit ich es verstanden habe, entwickelt sich das Anhalten aus dem HSS. Mir ist natürlich klar, dass das Pferd danach steht (oder sogar schon vor dem SS-Teil, wenn ich nicht rückwärtsrichte), aber "bremst" sie (anfänglich) immer über eine komplette Hüftdrehung? Es klingt wohl so, als würde das Fragen nach der Hüfte schon direkt zu einem Stehenbleiben führen, aber das verstehe ich nicht so ganz.

Also: wie ist der Zusammenhang zwischen Anhalten und HSS? Wie habe ich mir das in der Anfangsphase vorzustellen, wie entwickelt sich das weiter und wie soll es schlussendlich aussehen?
Viele Grüße,
Esther

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #8 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:32:32 »
Huhu,
ich beschreibe mal wie sich das bei uns gerade entwickelt:

Zu dem Zeitpunkt wo ich HSS beginne, hab ich vom 3Flip3 schon das Umwenden mit dem Oberkörper, wodurch das Pferd etwas stärker untertritt.

Um HSS zu beginnen, suche ich mit einer Bewegung den Punkt am Zügel, wo ich das Pferd stoppen und rotieren kann. Das ist nur für den Anfang, damit das Pferd gleich die Idee hat, wo es hingehen soll in der Übung.
Das Pferd rotiert, und dann folgt mit dem Zügel einer Seite das Zurückführen der jeweiligen Schulter (also Zügel links, Schulter links, umfassen, Zügel rechts, Schulter rechts).
Dadurch richtet sich das Pferd ganz gerade, kippt (im Idealfall) das Becken und richtet den Hals in den Schultern auf.

Was daraus entsteht ist, dass das Pferd immer mehr vorwegnimmt. Der Ablauf ist zb rechte Hand:
Einseitig mit der rechten Hand am Zügel in Richtung Trense fassen, um den Umkehrpunkt zu finden. Die linke Hand geht gleichzeitig mit der Zügelschnalle hoch um die Verbindung zwischen den Händen stabil zu halten.
Dabei ergibt sich eine leichte Drehung des Oberkörpers und ein Schauen in Richtung Hüfte.
- Das Pferd kommt zum Stehen (Zügel auf den Hals, Release)
- Zügelhand rechts an Schulter/Sattelkante legen (Zügelhand links geht wie immer hoch), dadurch geht das Pferd einen oder zwei Schritte zurück, Release
- Zügelhand links an Schulter/Sattelkante legen (Zügelhand rechts geht hoch), Pferd geht einen oder zwei Schritte zurück.

Irgendwann kommt der Punkt wo ich nur zur rechten Hüfte schaue, die Zügelhand an die Sattelkante lege und das Pferd steht.
Klappt tatsächlich, und ich kann mit dem Umschauen immer feiner und differenzierter werden.

Jetzt fängt es an, interessant zu werden, denn nun kann ich genau abstimmen, wie weit ich zurückschaue - oder meine Hand am Zügel bewege, oder wo ich sie positioniere.
Mit Umschauen (ich brauche schon lange nicht mehr bis zur Hüfte zurückschauen) bekomme ich ein Untertreten und eine leichte Biegung.
Mit dem Zügel stelle ich die Verbindung zur Hüfte her.
Mit der Kombination bestimme ich also ob das Pferd sich biegt, ob es anhalten soll, ob ich einen Turn möchte (da schaue ich in die Richtung und hebe den inneren Zügel eher hoch, nicht zum Sattel).

Bin gerade selbst sehr erstaunt wie sich diese Dinge entwickeln.
Natürlich führt das zunächst auch dazu, dass man sich nicht zu oft umsehen darf, weil das Pferd dann immer schon mal stehenbleibt  :lol: aber das bin ich ja schon gewohnt bei Mirko  :roll:  :wink:  :D

• Administrator
  • 12693 Beiträge
« Antwort #9 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:33:20 »
Hilfe, jetzt bin ich noch verwirrter!  :o

Das Pferd dreht sich garnicht, sondern steht direkt (also in vorheriger Bewegungsrichtung) vor den zwei Rückwärtsen? Habe ich das von Anfang an falsch verstanden? Ich dachte, es geht um eine Drehung um 180 °, und dann zwei Schritte rückwärts... *verwirrtguck*

Ist die "Hüfte" nur ein Untertreten, keine Drehbewegung?
Viele Grüße,
Esther

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #10 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:33:42 »
Ich sag nicht dass es so sein muss, sondern nur dass es zur Zeit bei uns so ist...  :lol:

das bezog sich hierauf:
Zitat
Soweit ich es verstanden habe, entwickelt sich das Anhalten aus dem HSS

Ich glaube nicht, dass das Endziel darin besteht, beim Anhalten jedesmal den  Kreisel einzuschalten - es ist ein Weg dahin, dem Pferd Ideen zu geben was es mit seinem Becken, dem Rücken usw dabei anstellen kann.

Aus der Feldenkraisarbeit und dem mentalen Training ist bekannt, dass eine Bewegung nicht unbedingt ausgeführt werden muss, um sie zu trainieren. Es reicht, daran zu denken (in einer gewissen Qualität natürlich).
In dem Sinne ist das für mich auch zu verstehen.
Das Pferd erwartet das Zurück, es hat durch das Untertreten eine Geschmeidigkeit entwickelt. Es wird den Rücken aufwölben und sich in den Schultern heben - weil es diese Bewegungen auf dem Weg dahin gelernt und verinnerlicht hat.
Wie Alex schreibt: "Das HSS ist der Weg zu Versammelten Stops und Starts und zu wunderbaren Gängen."

Weil das Pferd genau diese Bewegungen lernt.

By the way, momentan bemerke ich gerade dass wir auf dem Weg sind wieder Westernreiter zu werden *g* und dass mein Pony Ansätze zum Spin macht, obwohl ich das wirklich nie geübt habe. Aber die Leichtigkeit der Schulterführung und die Aktivierung der Hinterhand ergibt eben genau das, und indem ich mich durch die Prinzipien des Single-Rein-Riding arbeite, verstehe ich gutes Westernreiten immer mehr - das ist genau das, was ich mir vor ca 12 Jahren gewünscht habe. Jetzt finde ich den Weg dazu, und es ist sehr spannend.  :D

Ps: Niemand braucht Spins  :wink:  :lol:

• Administrator
  • 12693 Beiträge
« Antwort #11 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:34:04 »
Okay, Knoten wieder ein bißchen aufgelöst *puh*

Man "verhindert" die Drehung dann einfach durch noch kleinere Hilfen und früheres release, so dass das Pferd sich Drehung und Rückwärts zwar noch "denkt", aber eben nicht mehr ausführt. Richtig so? (Unter dem Vorbehalt, dass Du nur beschreiben kannst, wie es bei Euch gerade läuft, was für mich eine vollkommen ausreichende Antwort ist!)

Mir ist einfach nicht so ganz klar, wie ich den Übergang mache zwischen meiner Anfrage "Könntest Du bitte Dein Hinterteil herumnehmen und dann zwei Schritte rückwärts machen?" zu "Könntest Du bitte ausbalanciert anhalten?". Also was ICH tue, um dem Pferd klar zu machen, was ich denn nun im Moment möchte, Kreisel + Rückwärts oder einfach "nur" anhalten.
Viele Grüße,
Esther

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #12 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:34:23 »
aus meiner momentanen Sichtweise würde ich nicht sagen dass ich die Drehung verhindere, sondern das Pferd hält vorher einfach an.  :D

dh wenn es in dem Stadium ist, dass es verstanden hat dass die Drehung zum Anhalten führt (und zum Keks) wird es schwieriger, die Drehung tatsächlich korrekt durchzuführen.
Diese Situation hatten wir auch schon, und dafür greife ich wieder mehr an den Zügel in Richtung Trense, werde also wieder etwas "grober" und halte den Schwung etwas mehr aufrecht durch dranbleiben, bevor ich den Release gebe durch Loslassen des Zügels.

Ich möchte ja ein flüssiges Untertreten haben, diesen "Gene-Kelly-Glide", den Alex beschreibt. Da hilft es mir wenig, wenn mein Pferd zwar perfekt anhalten kann, aber ich es nicht mehr in die Seitengänge bekomme weil es immer schon steht.   :lol:

Ein guter Grund, das HSS nicht zu früh anzufragen, bevor man sich nicht eine ganze Weile mit 3Flip3 beschäftigt hat und dem Pferd diese Zusammenhänge klarer sind.
Das war zumindest meine Erkenntnis von gestern, also noch ganz frisch.  :D

lg Heike (ps gehts Dir wieder besser?)

• Administrator
  • 12693 Beiträge
« Antwort #13 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:34:42 »
Super, Knoten entgültig entwirrt! *freu*

Ob nun Deine Hilfen leichter werden und das Pferd deshalb anhält, oder es anhält, wenn Deine Hilfen nicht "gröber" sind, ist ja eigentlich fast nur Ansichtssache. ;-)

Danke auch für die "Warnung", erstmal eine Weile beim 3F3 zu bleiben. Noch bin ich davon ja Meilen entfernt, aber ich hoffe, dass ich das im Hinterkopf behalten werde.

Vielen, vielen Dank dafür, dass Du mir so schnell und ausführlich geantwortet hast! *dickenBlumenstraußmitHeikesLieblingsblumenüberreich*
Viele Grüße,
Esther

• Think positive!
  • Administrator
  • 29202 Beiträge
    • Click for Balance
« Antwort #14 am: 15. Dezember 2009, 10:35:10 »
Oh, vielen Dank *naseinblumenstraußversenkt*  :D  :D

ich denke man muss auch berücksichtigen, dass im Gegensatz zum "normalen" Reiten diese Dinge idealerweise in endlosen Wiederholungen geübt werden, also in Loops..
Das macht es für das Pferd viel einfacher, diese Bewegungen und Zusammenhänge zu verstehen.

Nehme ich die Übung (in unserem jetzigen Stadium) aus dem Loop heraus, ist es etwas schwieriger für das Pferd, herauszufinden, was ich jetzt möchte. Da kann es sein dass die Antwort nicht so klar ist.
In dem Sinne muss ich mein Reiten umstellen von "anweisen und gute Ausführung clicken" zu "vorschlagen und gucken was das Pferd draus macht".

Und noch ein wichtiger Satz: Je länger man sich mit einer Übung beschäftigt, desto mehr Gutes kommt dabei heraus.

Und es ist erstaunlicherweise überhaupt nicht langweilig, eine halbe Stunde oder länger nur im Schritt daran zu arbeiten.  :D
Ich verstehe langsam, wie Alex dazu kommt, Pferde monatelang nur im Schritt zu arbeiten.  :D